Jacksonville Jaguars: 3 position battles to watch in training camp
Laviska Shenault, Jr vs. Dede Westbrook
When Jacksonville selected Laviska Shenault, Jr out of Colorado in the second round, it told fans a few things quickly. First, the need for playmakers as Marrone stated the week of the Draft is very real.
More from Jacksonville Jaguars News
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Evan Engram officially gets the franchise tag: 3 takeaways
Another thing is Shenault could be the player who has the most impact of any member of this year’s draft class. With great side and speed, he gives offensive coordinator Jay Gruden another go-to pass-catcher opposite DJ Chark.
Dede Westbrook was the best wide receiver the Jacksonville Jaguars had in 2018, posting 66 catches for 717 yards. In 2019, he caught another 66 passes, but he played with injuries and wasn’t as dynamic as the previous season. This season is a crossroads for the former Oklahoma star.
Westbrook is in the final season of his rookie deal. It is unlikely he re-signs with the Jaguars in the offseason. However, he is playing for a new deal somewhere else. At 6-foot and 178 pounds, he takes a pounding on the field and keeps coming back for more.
This could become the best training camp battle this year.