The Jacksonville Jaguars gear up for a Thursday night showdown with the Tennessee Titans this week, so we talked to our friends over at Titan Sized.
The Jacksonville Jaguars could’ve made Thursday night’s matchup against the Tennessee Titans significantly more interesting if they could’ve put up a respectable showing last week, but at 2-4 the already established their irrelevance in the big picture of the NFL.
More from Jacksonville Jaguars News
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Evan Engram officially gets the franchise tag: 3 takeaways
The Titans on the other hand are one game back from the division lead and have to feel somewhat good about their chances. They have been within reach in the 4th quarter of every game and should be able to handle a Jaguars squad in a complete tailspin.
We wanted to get some intel on our opponent so we reached out to Will Lomas over at Titan Sized. Here’s what he had to say:
1. The Titans have been lumped into the group with the worst teams in the league, but they are in the thick of the division race and have competed every week. How much better are they compared to last year?
"I think they are a lot better in 2016 than their 2015 failure. For one thing, the offensive line looks outstanding. Ben Jones who has come over from the Houston Texans (our mutual AFCS rivals) looks like he has both hurt the Texans and helped the Titans as a leader on the field. Jack Conklin and Taylor Lewan are the best tackle tandem in the NFL according to PFF, and I can’t really argue. Both look exceptional as run blockers and pass protectors. We will talk about Mariota in a second, but he has not looked great. However, I think that is in large part due to a condensed offensive system and a lack of offensive weapons. Speaking of weapons, DeMarco Murray looks like a steal and is probably a large part of why the Titans are better this year."
I was skeptical about the selection of Conklin but he’s helped the Titans become the best rushing team in the league. Their pass blocking hasn’t helped Mariota progress much but the Titans can at least lean on their running game. I don’t know if the promise of an “exotic smashmouth” offense has been fully realized, but if it’s going to happen at all it will be on display against the Jaguars.
Next: Mariota gaining steam