Jacksonville Jaguars 2016 4-round mock draft
Looking to sweep in newer, fresh blood at the linebacker positions, Deion Jones is a promising, slightly undersized prospect that could immediately pay off in special teams and work his way up the depth chart at linebacker. Another speedster (fourth fastest linebacker at the combine), Jones could prove valuable as an outside linebacker for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”
While it may be tough to get playing time – Jones only started one season in college – behind some decent starters for the Jags, he has the potential to build into something greater. The Jags won’t be using Jones as a starter, especially not in his first season, but with some not-so-exciting depth players currently on the roster, it will be important to bring in someone to compete and either force those above him to improve or win some playing time on his own. Jones can do that.
Jones is a competitor who flies to the ball. He has the speed and movement ability to go sideline to sideline and is athletic enough to build into a more complete, all-around linebacker. If he’s available at the top of the fourth round (which is possible, though his stock is rising after the combine), he has the kind of valuable base tools that will make him tempting to take.