T.J. Yeldon, Melvin Gordon leading rookie running backs
Sep 20, 2015; Cincinnati, OH, USA; San Diego Chargers running back Melvin Gordon (28) runs the ball against the Cincinnati Bengals in the first quarter at Paul Brown Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports
1) Melvin Gordon, running back, San Diego Chargers
Melvin Gordon takes the top spot for among rookie running backs after Week 2, edging out T.J. Yeldon in the process.
Gordon’s 88 yards in Week 2 put him as the eighth most productive back for the week and his total of 139 is good for 10th in the league. Gordon had a nice 27-yard run against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 2, helping to bump up his 3.6 yards per carry for the week.
Melvin Gordon is helping to turn the San Diego Chargers rushing attack into a real offensive threat and that’s critical to the success of a team that seems to be struggling. The team knows that Gordon can be someone special and so far he is delivering like the first-rounder is expected to.
Fortunately for Gordon, he’ll be taking on the 25th ranked Minnesota Vikings rushing defense in Week 3. Much of 268 yards the Vikings have given up on the ground came in Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers and Carlos Hyde, but that should serve as inspiration for Gordon more than anything. The Vikes could also play keep away by feeding Adrian Peterson and boosting their time of possession, which could limit Gordon’s attempts.
We’ll have to see if Gordon can retain the top stop after Week 3.
Next: The rankings from last week
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”