Jul 31, 2015; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars running back Corey Grant (33) runs during training camp workouts at Florida Blue Health & Wellness Practice Field. Mandatory Credit: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports
7) Corey Grant, running back/kick returner, Jacksonville Jaguars
One of the risers from the Week 2 preseason game against the New York Giants, Corey Grant could really solidify a roster spot with a strong performance against the Detroit Lions on Friday.
It would be nice if Grant can get near his 40 yard average on kick returns for back to back weeks. He would be a step above any of the other players auditioning for the job and would bring some clarity to a position that has seemed lackluster since the early days of Maurice Jones-Drew.
It isn’t all about kick returning, though.
Grant’s versatility should help him land a roster spot, but he’s also competing for that fifth running back spot on the Jags depth chart. So far it looks like it will be T.J. Yeldon, Denard Robinson, Toby Gerhart, and Bernard Pierce at spots one through four. Grant just needs to beat out the unimpressive Storm Johnson if he hopes to land a role as a running back.
So far, that shouldn’t prove difficult. Johnson is essentially shooting himself in the foot while Grant proves he’s versatile. If he can really step up if given opportunities as a runner then Grant may find himself well set for 2015. The rookie has been exciting at times but mediocre at others. If he can consistently excite then he’ll definitely find a spot on the Jacksonville Jaguars roster.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”