Dec 28, 2013; Orlando, FL, USA; Louisville Cardinals cornerback Charles Gaines (3) during the first quarter of the Russell Athletic Bowl against the Miami Hurricanes at Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rob Foldy-USA TODAY Sports
Here in this 2015 Jaguars mock draft we break away from the top 100 list a little to snag a later-ranked player for the Jaguars in round four at pick 103.
Gaines is a converted wide receiver learning to play cornerback still. Not challenged often in Louisville, he has shown that he has the ability to jump routes and mirror receivers well. NFL.com compares him to stud Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson.
I don’t like Gaines’ lack of production at Louisville, finishing his career with just seven interceptions and 17 passes defensed. I do like that this production is only from two years as a defensive back, however. He is learning the position still and I think he could be something special given time. The concern here is that the Jaguars could really use a player who can step in and contribute immediately. They don’t have time to wait for a player to maybe figure out a position.
The Jags could use defensive back help still, however, and bringing in a guy with instincts may open up more versatility going forward.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”