Sep 20, 2015; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles (5) drops to throw during the first quarter of an NFL Football game against the Miami Dolphins at EverBank Field. Mandatory Credit: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports
1) Blake Bortles, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
Blake Bortles takes the top spot almost by default after Week 2.
The other three quarterbacks in the AFC South all had some clear struggles. While Blake Bortles was far from perfect, he was certainly far from bad and that’s enough to put him as our top quarterback post-Week 2.
In Week 1, we got a continuation of rookie Bortles and we ranked him fourth (he could have been fifth). In Week 2, we got the quarterback we’ve seen flashes of for the past season.
Completing just 54.5% of his 33 attempts is not impressive, but his two touchdowns and impressive big plays certainly were. Bortles is surprisingly among the better deep passers in the league right now and is no longer collapsing under pressure.
In fact, Bortles didn’t take a sack the entire game against the Miami Dolphins.
Overall, Bortles looked the most poised among AFC South quarterbacks in Week 2. He wasn’t miraculous, but he managed to stay cool in a tight game and came away with a win.
How all of these quarterbacks shake out in Week 3 remains to be seen, but we’ll know by the time the whistle blows for each game.
More from Black and Teal
- NFL Combine 2023: Jacksonville Jaguars HC Doug Pederson and Trent Baalke will speak on Tuesday
- Jalin Hyatt named dream target for Jacksonville Jaguars in 2023 NFL Draft
- 5 potential cap casualties the Jacksonville Jaguars should be in on in 2023
- The Jacksonville Jaguars got so lucky with the 2021 NFL Draft
- Jacksonville Jaguars opt for continuity at RB, re-sign JaMycal Hasty