Amidst the depression setting in from the Jacksonville Jaguars losing out on third overall pick Dante Fowler Jr. for the entire season after a terrible knee injury on the first day, rookie mini-camp has been relatively exciting. While fans have already expressed some exasperation and sadness because of Fowler’s injury, there are still things to get excited about in regards to this year’s rookie class.
One guy who has high expectations heading into his rookie year is 2nd round pick T.J. Yeldon out of Alabama. After missing out on DeMarco Murray in free agency, it was clear the Jaguars wanted to target an upgrade at the running back position, and Yeldon appears to be that guy early in mini-camp.
Early returns from camp are that Yeldon looks fast and elusive, particularly in traffic.
It’s only rookie mini-camp so any excitement should be somewhat tempered, but Yeldon appears to be someone who can push Denard Robinson for the starting job right away.
It’s going to be difficult to get over the looming cloud that is Fowler’s devastating injury, but the Jaguars have 7 other players from this draft class who all appear to have potential. No one has looked overwhelmed so far, and it’s extremely encouraging to see Yeldon flash big time ability. One could argue the expectations are significantly higher for Yeldon in his rookie year than they were for Fowler before the injury.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Evan Engram officially gets the franchise tag: 3 takeaways
- Jaguars News: The offense is in good shape for 2023
- NFL officially reinstates Jacksonville Jaguars WR Calvin Ridley: 3 immediate takeaways
- Derek Carr immediately makes Jaguars vs. Saints 2023 away game Must-Watch TV
- Jacksonville Jaguars fortify secondary in 4-round 2023 Post-Combine NFL Mock Draft