More from Jacksonville Jaguars News
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Evan Engram officially gets the franchise tag: 3 takeaways
The free agent market got thinner this weekend, as the Green Bay Packers
with the top wide receiver on the market inRandall Cobb
. The Jaguars were expected to make a run at Cobb, but now the team has to look elsewhere for a veteran pass catcher.
One player the Jaguars have shown interest in before is Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin. The Jaguars were apparently willing to give Maclin a contract last year as he was coming off a serious knee injury, but he decided to roll the dice on a one year deal with the Eagles instead.
Maclin’s gamble paid off, as he had the best year of his short career in 2014 under head coach Chip Kelly. Maclin accumulated 1,318 yards on 85 receptions to go along with 10 touchdowns last year. With Cobb off the market, he’s pretty comfortably the best receiver available, although some people might prefer the deep threat that Torrey Smith poses.
The Jaguars have the cap space to go after Maclin and still make a run at guys like Julius Thomas, Bryan Bulaga, and Devin McCourty. Still, as we saw with Cobb, the Jaguars might not even get a chance to offer these players a contract if they resign with their teams before Tuesday. Hopefully most of them remain on the market.