Jacksonville Jaguars sign former Oakland Raiders Tight End Mychal Rivera to a two year deal.
Mychal Rivera could be an under the radar signing that pays huge dividends for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Rivera who is listed at 6’3″ and 245 pounds could be the receiving tight end the Jags are looking for.
Although he played the for Oakland Raiders since his rookie year in 2013, Rivera was never given much of an opportunity to be a receiving threat in an offense that does not utilize tight ends as much as many other NFL teams. Rivera only has 144 receptions throughout his career but he definitely has potential as he earned All-SEC honors in college while playing for the University of Tennessee.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”
Look for the Jags to use Rivera as a red zone threat in 2017, and attempt to fulfill the role that Julius Thomas underwhelmed in the last two years.
The Jaguars are likely still in the market for a top-flight tight end, however. There are plenty of options in a deep 2017 NFL Draft class, so don’t expect the Jags to stay quiet at the position. Rivera is an underrated talent who flew under the radar in Oakland but could get plenty of looks for the Jaguars. If they add another mid-round player in the 2017 NFL Draft, expect Rivera to at least split time with that player.