The Jacksonville Jaguars started the free agency period strong by agreeing to terms with Pro Bowl defensive tackle Malik Jackson. Jaguars fans had a hard time containing their excitement as rumors continued to swirl that the team was also closing in on former Seattle Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin. The vibe on Tuesday afternoon was Irvin to Jacksonville was a done deal and reports all but confirmed it.
Well things changed rather quickly and now Bruce Irvin is reportedly going to be an Oakland Raider.
More from Jacksonville Jaguars News
- 3 potential trade partners for Jacksonville Jaguars CB Shaquill Griffin
- Jaguars should explore trading for Michael Thomas amid Calvin Ridley suspension
- Jacksonville Jaguars named best fit for CB James Bradberry in 2023 NFL free agency
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Evan Engram highlights discrepancy in WR and TE salaries
- Jacksonville Jaguars land DeAndre Hopkins in trade proposal to stop the KC Chiefs
Irvin would have been slotted right into the OTTO role or the outside linebacker oppositeTelvin Smith
, and now the Jaguars need to find another answer for that spot. This isn’t exactly a huge blow for the Jaguars as Irvin likely is going to be the most overpaid free agent in terms of overall impact to price tag, but he certainly would have filled a need.
In my opinion, this signals a few things – the Jaguars prefer to overpay for a player who can make a bigger impact at a more important position (edge rusher and free safety) and they also have their eye on a few linebacker prospects in the draft.
With Irvin out of the picture, the Jaguars can now pursue someone like Miami Dolphins defensive end Olivier Vernon with full force. I also expect general manager David Caldwell to address the secondary and add a cornerback and safety.
The Jaguars have already made a few moves, but the team should like noticeably different by the end of the week, perhaps a tandem of Tashaun Gipson and Janoris Jenkins.