Continuing a trend we’ve seen in his previous two offseasons as general manager, David Caldwell is bringing in a slew of top prospects for visits this year.
This shouldn’t come as a shock, as the Jaguars employed a very similar strategy last year in condensing their schedule for prospect visits.
While a handful of the guys visiting are at play with the third overall pick (Vic Beasley, Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Amari Cooper), the rest of the guys are probably targets in the scenario where Jacksonville trades down into the middle of the first round. Again, the Jaguars did the same thing last year and ultimately just stayed put and took Bortles, so there might be more Caldwell’s thinking. Bringing in all of the top prospects gives the Jaguars information on guys who should be available if a trade down opportunity presents itself, but it also helps mask the team’s true intentions and who they are favoring at number 3.
At the end of the day, visits with teams are only a small part of the equation. After studying tape, the combine, and pro days, private workouts and visits are the last piece in a puzzle that is virtually already complete.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”