Oct 6, 2013; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Baltimore Ravens running back Bernard Pierce (30) looks on from the sideline during a game against the Miami Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
RB Bernard Pierce
Bernard Pierce, released by the Baltimore Ravens after a DUI, has been claimed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on March 19th as a low-risk option at running back. The team has been looking to add to their running back stable and Pierce figures to be an option with high upside despite flaming out last season with the Ravens.
The Ravens expected Pierce to be a primary carrier for their team, but he barely managed to make an impact last year and ceded his position to Justin Forsett. Forsett, to his credit, has a massive year in 2014. Pierce had just 366 yards last season and averaged 3.9 yards per carry. His 4.9 yards per carry in his rookie season just three years ago seem almost like a distant memory at this point. He wasn’t even getting over three yards per attempt in 2013.
If the Jags can kickstart his career, then this could turn into a great signing for the team. If not, well none of us will have known him long enough to miss him. I sincerely hope he can get back to form, though. The DUI isn’t a great indicator that he’s on the right track.
More from Black and Teal
- Jacksonville Jaguars should welcome Derrick Henry into the kingdom
- Jaguars Rumors: Trent Baalke seems to be getting respect now
- Bold trade proposal has Jacksonville Jaguars shipping LT Cam Robinson
- Jaguars News: This division rival might be making a big move
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien: “New Profession, Same Standards”