I’m done digesting the entire 2014 NFL combine. I’m getting antsy. I sat with a notepad & took shorthand notes. I had the benefit of replay. I was also watching exclusively with the Jaguars’ needs in mind. There will be some evaluations of established players. Ones I liked and some that disappointed. I also project those who moved up my board, those who got on my board because they impressed me, and players I’m projecting as potential undrafted free agents (UFA) that the Jags should invite if available. I’ve already let you know about QBs & RBs. Let’s talk WR!
- Sammy Watkins (6-1, 211lbs) – Wow. Some players get hyped and then disappoint and some look even better than advertised. Could be the next Calvin Johnson. Never looked like he let it all go yet still looked better than all the others. If the Jags know Blackmon can’t stay sober, then Watkins looks damn good at three.
- Mike Evans (6-5, 231lbs) – Other end of the spectrum. Didn’t look bad but didn’t match the hype. I get a serious USC’s Mike Williams vibe from him. I think weight will become an issue down the road. He seemed a little lethargic & slightly disinterested. Maybe he is saving it for pro day. I personally wouldn’t touch him.
- Jordan Matthews (6-3, 212lbs) – Didn’t look as good as he does in pads. More drops in the combine than he probably had his entire senior year. Hope his pro day is better.
- Dri Archer (5-8, 173lbs) – Not what the Jags need. Another small fast guy. But MY LORD…how fast! 4.26 in the 40. Fast without effort. If he has any special teams returning ability…well, he will be special.
- Jeff Janis (6-3, 219lbs) – I’m not sure what I’m missing on this guy. Perfect height to weight to compete with the new tall & physical DBs the league is converting to. Didn’t see him drop ONE BALL. Money in the bank! Tied for 6th fastest 40 time (4.42) Still projected in the SIXTH ROUND?!?! We better get this son-of-a-bisquit-eater!
Potential undrafted free agent WRs the Jags should consider:
- L’Damian Washington (6-4, 195lbs) – Fast like a gazelle. Long strides. Good potential special teams contributor until he acquires NFL receiver skills .
- Allen Hurns (6-1, 198lbs) – Looks like a good possession receiver. Good size, weight, and acceptable speed. Broke numerous receiving records at Miami. They seem to produce a great receiver every couple of years. Hurns could be the one. Let’s keep him in state!
- Tony Washington (5-10, 200lbs) – Special teams guy from a small school. Can’t hurt to bring him in.
- Willie Snead (5-11, 195lbs) – Another small school guy that just KILLED it at Ball State. Lots of catches, yards & TDs. He will be a UFA…go get him!
- Quincy Enunwa (6-2, 225lbs) – This player just scored a 99 yard TD for Nebraska this year in the Gator Bowl at Everbank Field. Maybe he likes it here!
This appears to be a deep WR class. The more I worry about Justin Blackmon, the more I want an insurance WR in the draft. The more I look at Cecil Shorts and his AMAZINGLY LOW catching percentage, the more confident I get about bringing in a young guy. Next up…TEs…See ya then!!!
Looking for the next Jimmy Smith…Michael McDonald.
Am I wrong?!? Tell me on Twitter @gumbussy