Texans have receipts, brought them up after the Jaguars collapse vs. the Titans

• The Texans are the AFC South champions. They witnessed the Jaguars come crashing down, and took the opportunity to make fun of them.

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) looks for a receiver against the Tennessee
Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) looks for a receiver against the Tennessee / Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA
facebooktwitterreddit

The Jacksonville Jaguars were so close to making the playoffs. Yet, they fell short at the last minute. Following the win over the Houston Texans in Week 12, they had a 99 percent chance of qualifying for the postseason. That remaining 1.0 percent turned out to be too much for them, as they got knocked out by the Tennessee Titans in the season finale.

The Texans wasted no time to pull out receipts and poke fun at their divisional foes. After the Week 12 win, the Jags made a post on social media asking Houston to make their move. They did (a month and a half later) after the loss to the Titans in the season finale. Here's the response to the original picture.

Houston was 0-2 to start the season but they managed to get on track and finish 10-7. Had the Jaguars beaten Tennessee, they would've been the fourth seed and the division champions. The loss paved the way for the Texans to seize the division.

Following the disappointing loss, several prominent voices also took to social media to talk about the Jags' late-season collapse. Pete Prisco of CBS Sports, for one, feels duped after being an early supporter.

Chris Broussard of FS1 picked the Titans to win. He must surely feel vindicated after calling the Jaguars a pretender early in the season and getting lots of flak for it. You may dislike his takes — many of them stink — but he got one right, and he won't stop shoving it into fellow host Nick Wright's face.

Heck, B&T's own Scott Zacher highlighted three reasons Jacksonville was going to lose and he was right on the money.

The Jaguars deserve their downfall after putting a promising start to 2023 to waste

The Jaguars got off to a good start to the 2023 season, going 6-2 before their BYE. Even after getting soundly beaten by the San Francisco 49ers in Week 10, they had a legitimate chance to get the No. 1 seed in the conference entering their Monday Night Football bout against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 13. They fell flat. While a midseason loss doesn't make or break a team, falling to Cincy turned out to be the beginning of the end for the Jags.

They lost to the Cleveland Browns the following week. Then to the Baltimore Ravens, and they kept the skid going against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 16. With two games left in the season, and despite all the losing, Jacksonville was still in control of the division and their destiny. Beating the Carolina Panthers was a step toward righting the ship. They next had to defeat the Texans, and they would be in the playoffs.

Once you're in, you can be the lowest seed, but if you get hot at the right time, you can run the table. Maybe if the Jags punched their ticket to the playoffs, they could make a deep run but they couldn't even qualify. Instead, they find themselves asking how they got there.

One look will show that not addressing the offensive line in the offseason, drops, mistakes, and not wrapping up tackles led to the collapse and resulted in the downfall. As you can see, they're all self-inflicted wounds, and the Texans wasted no time to point it out.

Read more from Black & Teal:

manual