Fred Taylor interested in becoming Jaguars RBs coach: 3 reasons he's the right choice

• The Jaguars need a new RBs coach after firing Bernie Parmalee. Here are 3 reasons Fred Taylor may be the best candidate for the job

September 14, 2008;  Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor (28)
September 14, 2008; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor (28) / Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 3
Next

1. It would bring more credibility to Doug Pederson's program

Doug Pederson won it all in his second season as the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, so it's fair to say that he landed in Jacksonville with a pretty good football resume. The fact that the Jags made the playoffs and won the postseason in his first season at the helm proved that hiring him was the right call.

Players responded positively to Pederson, and he was able to quickly get rid of Urban Meyer's stench almost right away. Looking back, it's a bit infuriating that he didn't earn enough consideration for the Coach of the Year award, which went to Brian Daboll instead.

But as good as Pederson was in his first season coaching the Jaguars, they took a step back in 2023. Early in the season, it looked like they were a lock to make the playoffs and win the AFC South for the season year in a row. Following the win over the Houston Texans in Week 12, they had a 99 percent chance of qualifying for the postseason. However, that remaining 1.0 percent proved to be too much for them.

The Jags ended up getting humiliated by a Tennessee Titans team that had not much to play for other than knocking their division foe out of contention. They showed up ready to play and came out on top, effectively preventing Jacksonville from making the playoffs. Following a disappointing end to the season, Doug Pederson moved on from several defensive assistants but chose to keep offensive coordinator Press Taylor around.

Based on Pederson's latest exchange with the media, he's confident Press Taylor can excel as the offensive coordinator. Maybe, he's right, but if that's the case, why not bring another Taylor, Fred, to show that he's not afraid of bringing in someone outside of his circle?

When It was announced that Fred Taylor was a finalist for the HOF, Pederson was efusive of his candidacy. If he thinks he was such a game-changer, why not see if that can carry over into the coaching ranks?

Here are more recent stories form Black & Teal:

manual