John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports
The 2014 NFL Draft is now just a few days away(hallelujah!), and there’s been plenty of talk about what the Jaguars will do with the third overall pick, with plenty more talk on the way. We all know the top guys like Clowney, Manziel, Bridgewater, Watkins, Mack, etc., but when Thursday and Friday come to a close and we are left with rounds 4-7 on Saturday, who are some names to keep in mind?
With the Jaguars currently holding 11 picks, and Dave Caldwell stating he would like to eventually end up with 12-14 picks, it’s quite possible the Jags could be the new home to a plethora of different players. Below I’ve listed some guys who likely won’t be hearing their name called in rounds 1-3, but could definitely still find their way to Jacksonville later on and contribute. These players could slip in the draft due to a number of different reasons including size, work ethic, character concerns, injuries or level of competition. Obviously the draft is impossible to predict, and these players could be selected much higher, but for the sake of this article let’s just roll with it.
- Storm Johnson – RB, UCF —> Great tools, needs better vision. Overshadowed by Bortles.
- De’Anthony Thomas – RB/WR/KR, Oregon —> Has speed for days, but size is obvious concern. Also, GOAT on Twitter.
- Kevin Norwood – WR, Alabama —> One of my favorite prospects. May fall because of lack of elite production.
- Jarvis Landry – WR, LSU —> He may go a lot higher, but could fall due to low workout numbers and being overshadowed by Odell Beckham Jr.
- Crockett Gillmore – TE, Colorado State —> Actually my number 2 TE this year. Great Sr. Bowl performance.
- Seantrel Henderson – T, Miami —> Multiple character red flags, but can be a dominating force on the field. Also, if I’m gonna trust one coach to get the most out of their players, it’s Gus Bradley.
- Brandon Thomas – G, Clemson —> Would’ve been a lock for high round selection until workout injury. Could be a great steal if he falls.
- Walt Aikens – CB, Liberty —> Small school CB, but has great length. Jags have shown interest.
- Aaron Lynch – LEO, South Florida —> Pretty much the same as Henderson. The tools are all there, but does he want it?
- Avery Williamson – LB, Kentucky —> Consistent tackler, but below average speed. Where does he fit?
- Kevin Pierre-Louis – LB, Boston College —> Another one of my favorites. Not sure why he’s projected so low. Solid all-around.
- Ronald Powell – LB, Florida —> Has shown the ability to be a very good player. Can he bounce back from multiple injuries?
- Howard Jones – LEO, Shepherd —> Not the easiest guy to find film on, due to playing at such a small school. But the film is VERY impressive. Looks dominant on tape, but will that translate against higher level competition?
We would also like to hear from you! Comment below telling us who some of your favorite day three prospects are for the Jaguars this year.
Follow and play along on Twitter – @Matt_Hoffman28