Jaguars Free Agency 2013: Three Right Tackles To Target
By Luke Sims
Dec. 16, 2012; Glendale, AZ, USA: Detroit Lions tackle Gosder Cherilus against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Lions 38-10. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
I disagree with all the talk of the Jacksonville Jaguars taking a left tackle with the second overall pick. Sure, the Jags had some serious deficiencies in pass protection, but current left tackle Eugene Monroe is part of the solution not the problem. Assuming the Jags don’t waste an early NFL Draft pick on a right/left tackle, free agency seems to be the perfect opportunity to solve the right tackle woes. The Jaguars need an improvement over Cameron Bradfield. The right tackle they need should be able to both pass block and pave the road for the running game.
Here are some guys I think the Jaguars should target in free agency:
- 2012 Team: New England Patriots
- Why: Vollmer has been a popular player suggested who could solve the Jags’ right tackle woes. While I think he may be too high priced for the Jags to pursue, Vollmer would be a solid right tackle who could stay with the team for some time. He suffered a back injury that could cause his price to drop, but I think he could be worth the risk no matter what. He is a high caliber player that would be tough to pass up on if he is physically able to continue his high level of play.
- 2012 Team: Kansas City Chiefs
- Why: The Chiefs seemed to be making all the right moves this offseason and then they unexpectedly cut Winston. Winston still has some quality years in front of him as a right tackle and the Jaguars should jump on the opportunity, especially if he sits on the market a bit longer than anticipated. He is not the best right tackle available in free agency, but he is much better than anybody the Jaguars currently have.
- 2012 Team: Detroit Lions
- Why: The Lions may have forced Cherilus out a bit prematurely. While they should have a good replacement in Riley Reiff, Cherilus – the second ranked right tackler per Pro Football Focus – was quietly emerging as a strong starting right tackle. The Jaguars should take a good, long look at Cherilus and decide whether he is worth pursuing over the next couple of days. I don’t think he’ll be quick off the market, but he will make some team incredibly happy. A more detailed look at Cherilus can be found here.
– Luke N. Sims
Feel free to leave comments on here or visit us at Facebook or Twitter!
You can also find me on Twitter @LukeNSims