Throwin’ Darts…My Full 1st Round Mock.
By David Johns
I did the best I could to find the goofiest lookin’ picture of Mel Kiper possible. How’d I do? He has magnificent hair. Anyways I couldn’t help myself. All the cool kids were doing mocks. Here it goes…
1. Andrew Luck, Quarterback, Stanford: Hasn’t Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Mike Mayock explained this one to ya enough?
2. Robert Griffin III, Quarterback, Baylor: Hasn’t Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Mike Mayock explained this one to ya enough?
3. Matt Kalil, Tackle, USC: Protect Ponder at all costs! Premium position=premium pay.
4. Trent Richardson, Running Back, Alabama: The Browns’ entire offense was painful to watch last year. Yes, even more painful than our beloved Jaguars. At least we have a running back…a great one at that. The Madden curse struck hard last year, but fortunately for Cleveland, they now have Richardson.
5. Morris Claiborne, Cornerback, LSU: Claiborne is hands down the best cornerback in the draft. Need I say more? Big things were expected from this defense last year. They came up short. Tampa is hoping to meet those expectations this year, and with this pick their chances just got a lot better.
6. Justin Blackmon, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma St.: It’s lying season! This Michael Floyd thing is a sham. No way he goes before Blackmon. Bradford’s head explodes from excitement.
7. Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina: Let’s face it, while Jacksonville’s defense finished in the top 10, our pass defense needs help. Ingram vastly improves our pass rush and in turn improves our pass defense. Ingram is the best pass rusher in the draft. Nuff Said.
8. Ryan Tannehill, Quarterback, Texas A&M: Jeff Ireland, SWING AND A MISS!
9. Fletcher Cox, Defensive Tackle, Miss. State: Cox is shooting up draft boards, and I don’t think he slides out of the top 10.
10. Michael Brockers, Defensive Tackle, LSU: Imagine that new 4-3 front with Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Mario Williams and Michael Brockers. WOW.
11. Luke Kuechley, LB, Boston College: The Chiefs take the smartest linebacker on the board, the safe pick, and their defense automatically makes a drastic improvement. Kuechley brings a level of discipline and intelligence to this defense.
12. Michael Floyd, Wide Receiver, Notre Dame: I can see Pete Carroll making this pick, fist pumping in all of his grey haired glory. Matt Flynn needs someone to throw to…
13. Riley Reiff, Tackle, Iowa: He’s the 2nd highest rated tackle on the board, and considering Cassell’s injury history, the Cards need to protect him a bit better. Smart pick.
14. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina: Yes, Coples slides down this far. Jerry snags him up…and then makes excuses when this pick crashes and burns. That’s so Jerry.
15. Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama: Did anyone SEE this run defense last year? Pair him with Ryans and never look back.
16. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama: They really wanted Ingram, but the price was too high so they settle for Upshaw who will fit in great with that Ryan “D.”
17. Dre Kirkpatrick, Cornerback, Alabama: BOLD isn’t it? Three Bama defenders drafted back to back to back! Bengals should regret letting Joseph go, and Kirkpatrick is just the guy to fill that void…plus everyone knows Cincy is down with cannibus.
18. David DeCastro, Guard, Stanford: I believe that Mr. Jason Love and I are in agreement…DeCastro slides all the way down to 18. He’s the best interior prospect since Steve Hutchinson in 2001, but unfortunately he doesn’t play a premium position hence the slide.
19. Kendall Wright, Wide Receiver, Baylor: The Bears are another wide receiver-starved team. Pair Wright up with Marshall and Cutler will have no excuse…who am I kidding he’ll find something…
20. Stephon Gilmore, Cornerback, South Carolina: This guy is becoming very popular as of late, and I can see why. The Titans are thrilled he slid down this far, and he will become a nice replacement for Finnegan. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Mr. Love picked him here too.
21. Janoris Jenkins…NOW IT’S A PARTY! J/K. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: Poe will slide all the way down to 21…the combine hype is done, SON!
22. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama: Cleveland actually has a very good pass defense. Barron will be a good addition to the secondary. They make a make a strong area of their game even stronger. Yes, the Browns will get 2 Alabama prospects. BOLD.
23. Nick Perry, DE, USC: From Nick Fairley to Nick Perry! Zing!
24. Jonathan Martin, Tackle, Stanford: He’s the best remaining tackle on the board, and the Steelers make the rare mistake of drafting based on need. Martin has been sliding as of late, but Big Ben needs better protection. That O-Line HAS been falling apart…
25. Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois: Von Miller, Elvis Dumervil, Whitney Mercyless. Nice.
26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State: Mario Williams GONE+McClellin is the highest rated OLB on the board=Houston Texans.
27. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson: You probably won’t even be picking here will you, Bill…WILL YOU!? But if you are, you’re gonna need a better pass rush. Branch is your man.
28. Cordy Glenn, Guard, Georgia: The Pack appreciates a solid offensive lineman and that’s just what Glenn is.
29. Janoris Jenkins,Cornerback, North Alabama: They drafted a troubled cornerback with talent last year…why not again this year? Jenkins really is a first round talent, and Baltimore is just the place for him.
30. Stephen Hill, Wide Receiver, GeorgiaTech: Someone was bound to fall in love with his speed.
31. Coby Fleener, Tight End, Stanford: Give me the tight ends…ALL OF THEM!!!
32. Devon Still, DT, Penn State: They keep that D-Line rolling.
Who knows what will happen on draft night? That’s my best guess at how the chips will fall, and your guess is as good as mine. I didn’t include any trades (which will come back to haunt me I’m sure) but I was just playing it safe. After all this is my first mock draft, so please be gentle.
-David R. Johns