Will Tyson Alualu hold out? – Probably yes.
By Terry OBrien
He said he doesn’t want to hold out. He said he wants to be there with his team. I believe him and watching him, that is his character.
Understand, however, that this is a different world than he has ever experienced. Pete Prisco had him on the radio program the Friday after the draft. Pete said “we will see you in the coming weekend for mini-camp”. Tyson said “Can you tell me more about that, when is it and when do i have to be there, i don’t know anything”. I realized at that point how young they are and how much they need to learn about the business of football.
Tyson Alualu will have an agent. His agent will take over and speak for him. Tyson will simply trust the guy to handle the contract issues. If the agent says we can’t sign right now, Tyson will say “but I want to be in camp”. His agent will say not until we have a contract. “And when will that be?”, Tyson will ask. “I’m not sure, we need C.J. Spiller to sign first”. Tyson will pace back and forth and do what his agent says.
Here are the 2008 signing figures for positions 8-14
8. Derrick Harvey DE Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $33.4 million ($17.177M guaranteed)
9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)
11. Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo Signed 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6M guaranteed)
12. Ryan Clady OT Denver Signed 5 years, $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed)
13. Jonathan Stewart RB Carolina Signed 5 years, $20 million ($10.795M guaranteed)
14. Chris Williams OT Chicago Signed 5 years, $16 million ($10M guaranteed)
Here are the 2009 signing figures for position 8 – 14
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $35.4 million ($19.2M guaranteed)
9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Signed 5 years, $28.5 million ($18M guaranteed)
10. Michael Crabtree WR San Francisco Signed 6 years, $40 million ($17M guaranteed)
11. Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo Signed 5 years, $25 million ($15M guaranteed)
12. Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Signed 5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)
13. Brian Orakpo DE Washington Signed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)
14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Signed 5 years, up to $19 million ($11M guaranteed)
You can see how the #10 spot tries to creep up in salary. The agents want to the top 10 spots to be closer together. The clubs want the position cost to decrease in salary as soon as possible. In 2008, the gap between #8 and #10 was larger than the gap between #10 and #12. In 2009, the gap between #8 and #10 was smaller than the gap between #10 and #12. That was a hard fought negotiation, but once it was established, the agents will want to hold it.
Tyson Alualu’s agent will want a salary higher than Michael Crabtree got last year, hey cost of living, you know. I’m guessing the Jaguars open at $15 mil and the agent opens at $19 mil. The best news is Buffalo and Cleveland are just ahead of us. If they can hold the line and get a contract, Alualu gets in quicker. With a rookie salary cap hanging out there, I just think this will be difficult.
Don’t blame Tyson for this one. He really doesn’t know. I do know this, he wants to be here as much as we want him here. I hope this works out.
– Terry O’Brien.