It is less than a couple of hours before the 2014 NFL Draft and the Jaguars have a lot to figure out. They have multiple people they pay tons of money to that evaluate talent for unlimited players from every college, big and small. I sit on my couch and have to lick the cheetos dust from my fingers so I don’t stain my laptop keyboard. Regardless, I have been studying game films, stats, scouting reports, combines, & pro days. Most importantly, I have followed my (ample) gut. Through all of this, I have completed a list of players at every position that I either covet (Katy Perry) or wish for the Jags to avoid (Russell Brand). With time running short, I want to get this out. I pray that I might cause someone in power to rethink a pick to make or run away from. The draft got here too quick so my summaries will be concise.
Let’s review the TEs & the Big Uglies.
TE & OL COVET LIST: (in no particular order)
- TE Arthur Lynch – Had a hell of a career at Georgia. Great size for blocking and nice hands for catching. Should be available where we would look for a TE (5th round).
- TE Jake Murphy – Good Player. Better person. The league won’t be too big for him being used to the spotlight his father was constantly under (Dale Murphy).
- OT Justin Britt – There is of course better OTs in this draft. I’m looking for value in the late rounds. Blocked for the unpredictable “Johnny Football” which will teach any lineman to adapt. This kid will be good considering he will be available after the 4th round.
- OG Charles Leno – Good OG. Great size and speed. Improved measurables from his combine to his pro day. Should still be available in the 4th. Someone to look at.
- C Bryan Stork & Tyler Larsen – Both of these guys are good centers who will only improve with coaching. Both will be available in the 6th round or later. Both would help the Jaguars.
TE & OL AVOID LIST:
- TE Colt Lyerla – This kid doesn’t belong on the NFL Channel…He belongs on “Cops”. A complete waste of !st round talent.
- TE A.C. Leonard – Only 6-2 & 252 lbs. Too short for today’s TEs and we need a strong blocker too. This guy is a bulky wide out. He’s had problems with the law too. I can never respect a man who hits a woman.
- OT Seantrel Henderson – Another typical waste of high grade talent. Has been in trouble. Wasn’t in shape for his pro day. Failed a drug test at the combine. Good luck to whoever drafts this headache!
- OG Xavier Su’a-Filo – I think Xavier is probably the best OG in the draft. This has nothing to do with his ability. I just don’t want the Jags using a pick as high as would be required to take him. We need to get skill position players early.
- C James Stone – A player who is a possible 7th round pick, he seemed to habitually underachieve in Tennessee’s biggest games.
That’s it for TE & OL.
See ya next time when we focus on the defense.
Loudly pontificating to anyone who will listen…Michael McDonald.
Don’t be afraid of the bandwagon forming to follow on Twitter @gumbussy!