It is less than a couple of hours before the 2014 NFL Draft and the Jaguars have a lot to figure out. They have multiple people they pay tons of money to that evaluate talent for unlimited players from every college, big and small. I sit on my couch and have to lick the cheetos dust from my fingers so I don’t stain my laptop keyboard. Regardless, I have been studying game films, stats, scouting reports, combines, & pro days. Most importantly, I have followed my (ample) gut. Through all of this, I have completed a list of players at every position that I either covet (Katy Perry) or wish for the Jags to avoid (Russell Brand). With time running short, I want to get this out. I pray that I might cause someone in power to rethink a pick to make or run away from. The draft got here too quick so my summaries will be concise.
Let’s review the LBs.
LBs COVET LIST: (in no particular order)
- OLB Jeremiah Attaochu – Tackling machine. Great size. #1.5 sacks in college. Perfect for the 4-3 defense. The last LB we took from Georgia Tech (Daryl Smith) ended up being the best LB in Jags’ history.
- OLB Kevin Pierre-Louis – Long arms. Faster than anticipated. I also have complete faith in any LB that comes out of Boston College. They have always been feisty and stellar.
- ILB Yawin Smallwood – I love this guy. If he wasn’t on the mend from a late season injury, he would be a 3rd round or better player. As it stands, this tackling freak could be available in the 6th round. If we got this guy, he would be a Pro Bowler within 3 years.
- ILB Shayne Skov – This player has a reputation for a motor constantly running kind of player. He was a fan favorite at Stanford because he got the defense and fans fired up with his physical play.
LBs AVOID LIST:
- OLB Khalil Mack – This is not a universal opinion. My brother thinks I’m an idiot. I just don’t see Mack as an elite player. He may even be an outstanding pass rusher, but he would be a situational player and they can be a liability. My concern is that I believe Mack has been overhyped and will shrink against pro talent. I am so glad the Jags didn’t select him when they could have.
- OLB Adrian Hubbard – Had a disappointing 2013 season. Was advised by many to consider taking advantage of a redshirt year and declined. He then showed up at the Senior Bowl overweight and not very toned. Sounds like a red flag to me.
- ILB Max Bullough – This guy was a team captain for Michigan State, yet for reasons unexplained, he was suspended before their bowl game. He then showed up at the Senior Bowl 20 pounds over his last reported weight. He also was not cooperative with the press. Stay away from this guy!
- ILB Preston Brown – I always get nervous when a player posts worse numbers during their pro day than they did at the combine. The numbers break down pretty badly. Shows someone who is either bad at conditioning or someone that only got fit for the combine and then slacked off.
That’s it for linebackers.
See ya next time when we focus on the DBs.
Loudly pontificating to anyone who will listen…Michael McDonald.
Don’t be afraid of the bandwagon forming to follow on Twitter @gumbussy!