It is less than a couple of hours before the 2014 NFL Draft and the Jaguars have a lot to figure out. They have multiple people they pay tons of money to that evaluate talent for unlimited players from every college, big and small. I sit on my couch and have to lick the cheetos dust from my fingers so I don’t stain my laptop keyboard. Regardless, I have been studying game films, stats, scouting reports, combines, & pro days. Most importantly, I have followed my (ample) gut. Through all of this, I have completed a list of players at every position that I either covet (Katy Perry) or wish for the Jags to avoid (Russell Brand). With time running short, I want to get this out. I pray that I might cause someone in power to rethink a pick to make or run away from. The draft got here too quick so my summaries will be concise.
Let’s review the Defensive Line.
DEFENSIVE LINE COVET LIST: (in no particular order)
- DE Jadeveon Clowney – No-Brainer. Probably won’t be there when we pick. But I can dream!
- DE Kony Ealy – A HELL of a player. I hope he is still on the board for our 2nd pick if we go offensive in the 1st.
- DT Kelcy Quarles- Big guy. Takes up space. Surprisingly fast at hitting the gaps. Works best with a 4-3 defense.
- DT Caraun Reid – Another big quick guy. He also hits the gaps quick. Like Quarles, he should be available in the 3rd-4th range. One of the smarter players coming into the league also.I like that.
DEFENSIVE LINE COVET LIST:
- DE Jackson Jeffcoat – Overrated BIG TIME. Disappeared in big games.
- DE Michael Sam – Not because of his admission of sexuality. I just think he was a product of the system and won’t be successful in the NFL.
- DT Stephon Tuitt – Will probably be a great player somewhere. I just don’t think he fits the Jags’ system. Too slight to be a DT. Too slow to be a DE.
- DT Daniel McCullers – 6-7 and 352 lbs. I just don’t see that build lasting long in the NFL. He will either eat himself out of shape or his body just won’t hold up to the action.
That’s it for Defensive Linemen.
See ya next time when we focus on the LBs.
Loudly pontificating to anyone who will listen…Michael McDonald.
Don’t be afraid of the bandwagon forming to follow on Twitter @gumbussy!