I just got thru digesting the entire 2014 NFL combine. My head is still spinning. I sat with a notepad & took shorthand notes. I had the benefit of replay. I was also watching exclusively with the Jaguars needs in mind. Here are some evaluations of established players. Ones I liked and some that disappointed. I also project those who moved up my board, those who got on that impressed me, and players I’m projecting as potential undrafted free agents (UFA) that the Jags should invite if available. Let’s talk RB!
- Tre Mason (5-8, 207lbs) – Already was a big fan. He didn’t disappoint in any way….Caught the ball better than I was led to believe…a 4.5 time in the 40 is more than acceptable…I hope he is still available for our 3rd round pick because I don’t know if we can afford to take him with out 2nd.
- De’Anthony Thomas (5-9, 174lbs) – My other “man crush”…As far as I’m concerned, easily the most exciting player coming into the league…My first impression was “Tavon Austin with more of an edge.”…Excelled on punt and kickoff returns…They say Johnny Football would sell tickets, this guy will put butts in the seats!!!
- Storm Johnson (6-0, 209lbs) – Wasn’t aware of this player until I watched him run all over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl…Broke tackles, reversed field, played like a stud…Looked strong at the combine…Plus, I could market the CRAP out of him…Since the Jags run primarily out of the I-formation, It could be called the “I of the Storm!!”…Pretty good, huh…I’m already pressing the t-shirts!
Potential undrafted free agent RBs the Jags should consider:
- Jerick McKinnon (5-9, 209lbs) – Coming from Georgia Southern…FAST!!!…In his college career at GSU, he played QB, HB, FB, DB, and kickoff returner…Though he played at a small college, two of his best games came against Georgia in 2012 and Florida last year…I hope he’s there for an invite.
- Henry Josey (5-8, 194lbs) – Ok…check this out…Two years ago, in the midst of his sophomore campaign in which he had already run for 1,168 yards and 9 TDs, he suffered a horrible knee injury that included complete tears of his ACL & MCL. He also tore his patellar tendon. That’s not a season ending injury, that’s a career killer. He rehabbed his ASS off for two years, came back last year, and proceeded to run for 1,166 yards and 16 TDs. He even was voted offensive MVP at the Cotton Bowl…Oh…And he had the 3rd fastest 40 time for RBs at 4.43…That is the definition of intestinal fortitude and character…A player like Henry would be an inspiration…Go get him Dave Caldwell!!
That’s it on RB. The more rumors I hear about MJD leads me to believe he won’t be back. Though I’m a Jordan Todman fan, I feel the RB position is a more pressing need than originally thought. Next up…WRs…See ya then!!!
Looking for the next Terrell Davis…Michael McDonald.
Am I wrong?!? Tell me on Twitter @gumbussy