Jacques McClendon played well at left guard. Mike Brewster started the game in place of Will Rackley. Mike was eaten alive early in the game when Henne was sacked twice and Anger had to punt from the two yard line. Mike Brewster looked lost. He broke his ankle and Jacques McClendon came in. Suddenly Jordan Todman was breaking off 7 yard runs up the middle. Then he broke off a 16 yard run. In total, Todman got 85 yards running up the middle mostly behind the blocking of Jacques. Jacques McClendon set the Tennessee football team record for bench press at 645 pounds. In the opening series of the second half, he was a pulling guard and Todman was getting good yardage. He did get flagged for two penalties but he just got a little excited. This is a big man we need to see succeed. I expect to see him again.
Chad Henne and Jedd Fisch converted a lot of third downs. The play calling and execution is improving a lot. In the second half, the third down situation was:
- 3rd and 9 Yes – Pass to Mike Brown for 12 yards
- 3rd and 15 No – Missed Ace Sanders – Hit the field goal
- 3rd and 12 Yes – Pass to Todman for 30 yards
- 3rd and 2 Yes – Henne runs for 2 yards
- 3rd and 7 Yes – Pass to Kerry Taylor for 16 yards
- 3rd and 3 Yes – Todman up the middle Defensive penalty
- 3rd and 5 No – On the Buffalo 5, intercepted
These were critical third downs that kept us in the game. I blame the last interception on Jedd Fisch more than Chad Henne. When you are first and goal on the one yard line and all of your running yards are coming up the middle, run the damn ball.