The weekend after the final preseason game usually yields a handful of surprises, but the players released by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Friday weren’t shocking considering the huge turnover on the roster so far. David Caldwell has made sweeping changes from the team that took the field last year and head coach Gus Bradley has made it clear that he’s going to keep the players that perform the best. A couple notes on some of the more noteworthy players released.
- Some fans were clamoring for Matt Scott to get a chance to start, but his limited time in the preseason illustrated how raw he is mentally at the quarterback position. He’ll almost assuredly end up on the practice squad and he’ll get another chance next year in camp.
- Defensive end Pannel Egboh got the axe instead of former second round pick Andre Branch. The Jaguars are reportedly shopping Branch around to recover anything for the much maligned second year player and his potential as a trade chip likely kept him on the roster.
- Marcus Trufant’s release fits the mold of Caldwell’s youth movement, but it comes at somewhat of a surprise given the lack of experience in the secondary. Still he likely would have lost playing time as the season progressed and the younger guys like Mike Harris and Demetrius McCray are going to see the field earlier.
- Ryan Otten was a priority rookie free agent after he went undrafted, but he didn’t show much this preseason. Allen Reisner showed him up and took away his roster spot as Marcedes Lewis’ backup. Otten should find a place on the practice squad.
- Cutting defensive tackle D’Anthony Smith and linebacker Brandon Marshall further purges the roster of Gene Smith’s failed draft picks. Smith never stood a chance due to some devastating injuries and Marshall was just a guy who was way overdrafted.
- Defensive tackle T.J. Barnes is the guy who has the best chance to be called up from the practice squad during the regular season. He’s a mountain of a man who played well in limited time. He should crack the rotation at some point this season.
– Daniel Lago
Yell at me on Twitter @dlago89