There’s nothing quite like the combine to get your dreams going for your favorite team. If a quarterback throws well, suddenly he could be the guy. If a cornerback runs a superb 40, suddenly he could be the savior your franchise needs on defense. The Jaguars will be needing an awful lot of help at pass rusher this offseason, so who will be the ones to stand out? Who may falter? Here are three pass rushing prospects we should look at.
Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
- Not being a senior, we haven’t been able to see Werner’s skills in some time now. The combine will be an opportunity for Werner to really cement himself as a top three pick. If he can edge out competitors like Damontre Moore and Jarvis Jones then picking Werner at number two overall would get an awful lot easier for the Jags.
Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
- Like Werner, Moore needs to show off at the combine to show that he is worth being picked in the top three. With room between a pass rusher, Star Lotulelei, and Luke Joeckel getting tighter with each mock draft, it will take a herculean effort for Moore to get teams to look past an apparent attitude and motivation problem. A good way to show motivation would be outperforming expectations at the combine. Moore may be able to move past Werner in some eyes because he is expected to be stronger and more athletic.
Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
- Mingo may have the most to gain of the oft-mocked pass rushers. Originally a more common pick at number two overall when mocks first started coming out, Mingo has really fallen off in favor of Moore and Werner to the Jags. With the combine, Mingo can be re-inserted into the conversation. He would be all too happy to get his name mentioned a few more times in the top pass rusher discussion, even if it is just leverage for when he slides out of the top five on draft day.
Other guys Jags fans should keep an eye on:
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
- Ansah is going to take the combine and use it as a jumping off point to the top 15 in the draft. Watch him and see how well he does at becoming more relevant.
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
- Is it too late to declare a combine winner? Hunt will turn some heads with his incredibly raw abilities. As a Jags fan I’m hoping he doesn’t turn too many heads and falls to the Jags in round two. He’ll undoubtedly make a jump up draft boards though.
– Luke N. Sims
You can also find me on Twitter @LukeNSims