Geno Smith Favorite For #1 Overall, Per Report: Opens It Up For Jags at #2

 

A lot hinges on whether Kansas City wants Geno Smith at #1 overall or not.  Source:  Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Per Walter Football, the Kansas City Chiefs have their eye on Geno Smith with their #1 overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft.  After sitting out of the Senior Bowl and before the combine this may be a little premature, but it will give a much more solid foundation for future mock drafts and really open the door for the Jacksonville Jaguars at #2.

The source concedes it isn’t set in stone:

4. My Chiefs’ source, who has a high success rate of delivering Kansas City’s first-round picks, told me Smith is currently the favorite to go No. 1 overall, but conceded that it’s still too early in the process. He said that the combination of Joeckel and Tyler Wilson is also a strong possibility.

Whether it’s set in stone or not, the Jags now have a conundrum on their hands.  Do they still think quarterback or do they guess at who the best defensive line player is going to be?

While there is a long way off, I can only see the Chiefs honing in on Smith as a good thing for the Jags.  What the Chiefs do with their pick has an effect on what the Jags do and if the best quarterback on the board becomes a lock at #1 then the Jags won’t have to worry as much about what KC intends to do.  While it would be nice of the Chiefs to leave Smith and do the Luke Joeckel/TylerWilson combo, top-rated quarterbacks are too valuable to pass up.

Patrick Allen at Arrowhead Addict likes taking Smith at #1 overall and I’m inclined to agree.  There’s too much uncertainty to pull off the Joeckel/Wilson move and if there’s one thing Andy Reid likes, it’s a good quarterback.

The Jaguars will really have to think about who they want at #2 if Smith isn’t available.  A quarterback like Wilson may be a reach, but if the Jags are serious about “fixing” the QB situation in this draft, then he may be the guy to take.  There’s a plethora of defensive linemen available and the Jags desperately need a reliable pass rush, but a player like Star Lotulelei may be too far ahead of his competition at defensive tackle to pass up.

We’ll see if KC changes its tune after the combine, but for now the Jaguars really have everything open to them if Smith is a lock at #1.

- Luke N. Sims

Feel free to leave comments on here or visit us at Facebook or Twitter!

You can also find me on Twitter @LukeNSims

Topics: 2013 NFL Draft, Geno Smith, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs

Want more from Black and Teal?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.
  • superman_25_58

    Geno Smith is clearly the best Qb in the draft by what I think should be a pretty big gap, considering Wilson didn’t help his stock being beat out by Ej Manuels in the Senior Bowl. Yes I know everyone says they don’t watch the game, it’s practices they watch. Which might be right, but is it to far fetched to think that they leave TEAM Personel behind to watch and scout, and Reid/Dorsey will watch the game film at Arrowhead so they can actually break down the game and see everyone? Either way Geno will be the affirmative #1 after Reid and Dorsey watch Geno Smith throw during WV’s Pro Days. The Combine will be the icing on the cake and will be just to let all the other teams salivate over him so we can crush their Hopes and Dreams when we select him #1. Geno will go Top 5 so why wouldn’t the chiefs pick him at #1? It’s not a reach when it’s the position that is the biggest need and accounts for 75% of the offense/scoring, Jamal is the other 25% of offense/scoring.

    • LukeNSims

      Very, very well put. I agree, it would be shocking to see if the Chiefs skip on him.

      • superman_25_58

        I agree, if they skip on Geno and take Alex than everyone might wanna brace themselves for mediocrity for atleast another 5+ yrs.The reason I say this is bc everyone knows that if they go with Alex and he sucks we will be stuck with him and his contract, bc I don’t see them trying any1 else since they will have paid Alex Smith BIG money. If you say he prolly won’t get big money well you’re wrong. He took SF to Playoffs last year, helped pave the way this year, over 100 QBR, he will be wanting a BIG PAYDAY. I say let him go to J-ville and lets get a younger, better, smater, faster, and stronger Qb in Geno Smith.

        • Don417

          You have no idea if Geno “Akili” Smith is better or smarter than Alex Smith. When Genobust scores a 12 on his wonderlic, then come talk.

  • Don417

    Geno Smith is not a top-rated QB, though. He’s simply, maybe the best of a medocre group of choices. The best pile of poo is still poo. Smith has bust written all over him. Chiefs would make a disastrous mistake taking him.

    • LukeNSims

      Turns out they opted to trade for Smith instead.

  • Pingback: Alex Smith Trade: Jaguars Pass