- D-Line: Aaron Kampman, Tyson Alualu, Terrance Knighton, Jeremy Mincey, Matt Roth, Austen Lane, Leger Douzable, D’Anthony Smith, Nate Collins
Maybe CJ Mosley or Aaron Morgan make the roster and push this number to nine or make the list if D’Anthony Smith’s newest injury is more serious than expected. Colins had a strong performance last night with 2 sacks, that likely earned him a roster spot. If Morgan is eligible for the practice squad, he’s a lock there. Larry Hart would be lucky to go on IR and get a final shot next year in training camp, otherwise he will be cut, making him the Jaguars’ third failed Designated Pass Rusher experiment after Jorge Cordova and Quentin Groves.
- LB: Daryl Smith, Paul Posluszny, Clint Session, Russell Allen, Kyle Bosworth, Jacob Cutrera
No arguing here. I think Cutrera just earned the final LB spot with that pick-six. The UDFA rookie from UConn, Scott Lutrus, is a lock for the practice squad.
- DB: Rashean Mathis, Dawan Landry, Courtney Greene, Derek Cox, Drew Coleman, Chris Prosinski, William Middleton, Rod Isaac.
I think the Don Carey experiment will be over very shortly. The only question I see here is David Jones or William Middleton, but I think because of his great ST abilities, Middleton will make on the roster. I hope Reggie Nelson isn’t as good as he looked last December for the Bengals, otherwise that trade is looking pretty terrible.
- Special Teams: Josh Scobee, Matt Turk, Jeremy Cain
Now here there are a couple of questions, here. Can Matt Turk still play well for 16 games? Is Jeremy Cain healthy and ready for the season? And will Scotty McGee be the punt returner of this team? Sadly, that seems unlikely and he will probably be cut. If that happens, Cecil Shorts or Jamar Newsome will likely be the guy.
Possible Variations? The biggest question is at QB – will the Jaguars keep all three signal callers or they will trade/cut McCown or Garrard? That will be something everybody (not just Jaguars fans) will watch. The Jaguars can add new players, like they did with Douzable around that time last year. If so, my suggestion would be to add an offensive tackle, defensive end, or safety. Scotty McGee is the biggest question mark in my final 53. If he doesn’t make it, DuJuan Harris, Tommy Gallarda, or Aaron Morgan can find their way onto the roster.
- Practice squad projection: DuJuan Harris, Tommy Gallarda, Armon Binns, Scott Lutrus, Daniel Baldridge, Aaron Morgan, Matt Estrada, Kevin Rutland
I hope somehow Gene Smith can find a spot on the 53 for RB DuJuan Harris. If he will get only a practice squad spot, he will not stay there for long…
- Zoltan Paksa