This test against Tennessee will go a long way toward telling us where the Jaguars are in terms of becoming a playoff team. Here are five things to grade that will give us a clue. Feel free to add your own.
1) The Tennessee Titans pass rush is having trouble getting to David. This means the pass blocking is developing very well. A++ is Marcedes can go out on pass patterns and David still has time.
2) On third and two or third and three, Maurice runs and converts. This says the Jaguars are winning the battles and dominating. No nonsense football.
3) Chris Johnson doesn’t break a run more than 7 yards. This says the linebackers are alert and ready to play. The defensive line is holding their own.
4) Vince Young is intercepted or a receiver is dislodged from the ball in a turnover. This says coverage is tighter and windows for passing are smaller. The secondary is improving.
5) The Titans start a fight and the entire Jaguar team swarms. This says “touch one, you touch all” and the team is ready to do what it takes to win. They are not looking for someone to do it, they all will do it.
So what do you think? Will the Jaguars pass this test? Are you getting nervous? As we have said on this site before, there is blood in the water. Let’s see who gets eaten by who. See you at the stadium!
- Terry O’Brien